Health-E-News October 2015
empowering you to optimal health
Let Food Be Thy Medicine
Chiropractor have known for years that what you eat has a huge effect on your mental health. Along with receiving Chiropractic care, proper nutrition is critical for health.
The Mediterranean diet has long been associated with good health, cutting the risk of heart disease and some cancers, and now has been shown to staving off depression. A new Spanish study involving more than 15,000 people has found a diet loaded with fruit, vegetables, fish, beans, nuts and olive oil and with low levels of processed meats could help keep depression at bay.
There is evidence dietary changes can change our brain chemistry – altering the hormones responsible for controlling our mood. This is where the so-called happiness hormone serotonin comes into play. Foods that naturally boost serotonin levels, such as bananas, can lift our mood. Conversely, foods that interfere with its production – such as junk food and alcohol – can increase levels of anxiety and depression.
So what should you eat? Here are the top "feel good" foods:
- Spinach - Rich in iron: a great energy booster that wards off fatigue and aids concentration. It’s also a good source of vitamin B6 and folate, which support the brain’s ability to produce mood-boosting neurotransmitters, such as serotonin.
- Sweet potatoes - Rich in folate (a B vitamin), plus they are better than white potatoes at keeping blood sugar levels steady.
- Brazil nuts - One of the best sources of the mood-boosting mineral selenium, which can ward off low mood and anxiety.
- Oily fish - Sardines and mackerel are rich in omega-3 fatty acids which help the brain to interpret moods and boost concentration levels.
- Avocados - Full of depression-fighting folate, mood-lifting tryptophan and stress relieving vitamin B6.
- Eggs - Great source of zinc, which helps you to feel more alert and energised by regulating your metabolism and blood sugar levels.
- Tofu - Rich in protein, which increases energy levels and improves concentration. It also contains an amino acid called tyrosine, which boosts the brain chemicals norepinephrine and dopamine, as well as thyroid hormone, which can all help elevate mood.
- Bananas - Loaded with vitamin B6 which helps to relieve anxiety and stress, and it’s also a great source of tryptophan – the essential amino acid the brain converts into happiness hormone serotonin.
Seeing a Chiropractor first can save you money and produce better results.
Over 80% of adults will experience severe back pain at some point in their life, and likely everyone will experience either spinal, hip or shoulder pain at some point. If you or someone you know is suffering and you aren't sure who you should see first, a new study will answer that question.
A recently publish study compared the costs and the results of those who went to a Chiropractor first vs those who went to a Medical Doctor first.
A total of over 700 people were surveyed and asked about their condition, results, pain rating and overall satisfaction. Patients who saw a medical doctor first reported less of a reduction in their symptoms, less overall satisfaction, and the cost of medical care was greater than those who saw a Chiropractor first. Even after 4 months, those who saw a Chiropractor first reported greater satisfaction with their care and great reduction in their symptoms.
If you or someone you know is
suffering, call our office. We can help.
Why do I need to be adjusted, I feel fine?
A common question asked of Chiropractors is "why do I need to be adjusted, I feel fine." The short answer - Chiropractors are concerned with the functioning of your body, not necessarily how you feel.
Did you know most people feel fine just before they have a heart attack? Do you know why they call blood pressure the 'silent killer?' Because you typically don't 'feel' blood pressure problems until it is too late.
Judging your health based on how you feel can be dangerous - why? Everyone has different pain thresholds and different 'standards' of what they feel like. Chiropractors base health on how you, your spine and nerve system are functioning. The World Health Organization defines health as "a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." True health is based on so much more than simply being 'symptom free.'
Chiropractors determine your frequency of adjustments based on how your spine and nerve system are functioning. People continue to seek wellness care from Chiropractors when they demand more from their bodies. People who want to not only be symptom free, but also be physically able to function at a peek level, get regular adjustments as part of their healthy life style.
For instance, in the top picture to the right, you can barely see the 2 chairs on the beach. You can see the chairs much better, and the richness of the various colors in the lower picture. You can see the chairs better in the lower picture since there is no interference with your vision. The same occurs with you - when your spine and nerve system are not working at 100%, you can still function; however when your spine and nerve system are working at 100%, you are able to function on a much higher level and experience more of life.
Today many of the world's best athletes,
actors, and people who want more out of life seek Chiropractic adjustments
to help them experience the most from life. Several Olympic athletes
receive Chiropractic adjustments - why? - they know that the difference
between Gold and Silver can be 1/100th of a second, and having a spine,
nerve system and a body that is working in 100% harmony is key to winning
and experiencing life to the fullest!
How Important Is Your Diet On Your Mental Health?
This great TED talk reveals the surprisingly role of nutrition on your mental health. Click on the image below to watch the video.